Have you wondered, what is going on? How long has it been? Why has it been so long? I will try to explain. Even explaining is extremely difficult. The last blog I posted was in July 2017. I had intended to write again at the end of August, but I was completely occupied with four of my granddaughters. Then September came. I was blasted with criticism. The criticism led to discouragement and discouragement led to fear of more criticism, which led to self-doubt, which eventually spiraled downward to paralysis fueled by excuses.
Critics abound in life. But when the critic is someone we love, then the criticism has extra punch. When the criticism is over something we are passionate about it is powerful. I have been struggling. My life is not in shambles. Many excellent things have happened. My hurt and struggle is in the area of parenting. Parenting is the topic about which I write. Or wrote. Is it all in the past? Am I done? Or, is this just a set back? How do I recover and go on again? How do I recover from failures?
Here are the steps I am implementing:
- Admit failures (we cannot change the past)
- Seek forgiveness where and when possible
- Recognize that I cannot control the perspective or response of someone else.
- Recognize that people who hurt others are people who are hurt themselves.
- Evaluate and find the truth in the criticism
- Apply the truth
- Re-evaluate goals and passions
- Pick up the pieces and take a step forward
This blog post is my step forward. I am tired of feeling the way I have been feeling—like a defeated failure. I am ready to return to writing about parenting. It is a topic I am passionate about and still learning much about even though my children are all adults.